08 July 2010

North Wales

After leaving the Newcombs we took the train up north to Conwy where we stayed for two nights.

This is Conwy Castle -- one of a ring of castles built by Edward I to control the rowdy Welsh leaders.

We also toured through Plas Mawr which is a house that has been restored to its Elizabethan glory. It had real artifacts from that time that you were allowed to touch. I thought it was fascinating that they put horse hair in the plaster mix to strengthen it before putting it on the walls and that the thresholds really were designed to keep in the rushes that were scattered on the floors of the home.





After the castle and Plas Mawr, we took a bus up to Betws-Y-Coed, which is near Mt. Snowdon and inside the Snowdonia National Park. There we took a forest walk alongside the river. We were hoping to find the much-lauded Swallow Falls, but to no avail! After an hour and a half of hiking (and no sign of the Falls) we turned back towards the town and had some ice cream instead. It was a perfect substitute, don't you think?


The next morning we said goodbye to Wales and headed to Ireland!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you pronounce all the interesting names of places you are encountering?

Morgan Le Green said...

I know! I see the word Conwy and I think I know how to pronounce it but I'm sure that there is some weird thing going on with that W.

That castle is the most amazing I have ever seen.

Stacy said...

It's pronounced Conway. :) They other one I'll have to do in person, because without phonetic markings it's hard to write. (Behtoosihcoyd)