30 July 2007

Barcelona

We arrived in Barcelona on July 25 and were picked up by Jen's mom, Pat. I have to say that even though we are certainly capable of figuring out how to get where we need to go, etcetera, etcetera...it was such a blessing to have someone get us and drive us to where we were going. It really felt like being pampered, and it has continued as we've been staying with Pat during our stay here.

Our trip has definitely been winding down and Jen and I have really felt the subtle shift from travel mode to vacation mode. We've had the luxury of a real washing machine, free internet, the ability to watch a movie, and a kitchen to cook in!


On Thursday (July 26), we joined Pat, Jon and Kathy Haley, Nacho, and the Heykoop family for a day at the beach at Tossa de Mar. Jen and I took a long swim out to a rock island (I'm pretty sure I got stung by a jellyfish along the way - no...I didn't have anyone pee on me). We also had fun snorkeling with Jon and Kathy's gear, and we hiked up to some ramparts and towers up on a hill. After dinner at the Haley's we crashed for the night.

Friday was a day of relaxation (We watched "North and South." I totally recommend it for any of you "Pride and Prejudice" lovers.). Strolling to the market to buy our daily bread and produce is something Jen and I both could get used to.

Jen and I went to check out Barcelona on Saturday. We eventually found our way to the Sagrada Familia church which was planned by Gaudi. Honestly I thought it was pretty ugly (I admit to not being a huge modern art fan). It is still being worked on. The Nativity scenes on one side were by him. The Passion and Crucifixion scenes on the other side of the church are by another artist. They have they towers with weird tops like baskets of fruit or the old hats that popes used to wear. Weird.

After that we went to the Picasso Museum. It takes you on a journey through his life from his first paintings at age 12 or so to his later years. It really helped me appreciate his talent more as I saw the many different styles that he was very capable of. There was one room entirely devoted to the 50 or so paintings that he made (in somewhat cubist style) to copy the famous painting of his friend Diego Velásquez.

We strolled down "Las Ramblas." The food market, flower section, and pet section were my favorites. They had all kinds of small pets for apartment living (fish, parakeets, chickens, ducks, hamster-like things, chipmunks, something looking like a prairie dog, turtles, etc.). It was hard for me to resist the cute ducklings!


Our night in Barcelona finished with the fountains. We watched the 10:30 and 11:00 shows, which were different. It's a combination of changing water, lights, and music. Beautiful!

On Sunday we went to church with Pat and the Haleys and then had fun hanging out with everyone for lunch. It has been really fun to interact more with Jordan(she's in my small group in our high school ministry) and Brianna,the Heykoop girls, outside of the church setting.

It's strange to think our trip is coming to an end. We have one more day here, a day in London, and then home!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I know as good Christians we're not supposed to be jealous, but you're making it very hard not to be :)

Dan Luebcke said...

This looks awesome! Also, I am glad you were able to spend time with Jordan! Great stuff!